JOIN US IN CELEBRATING INTERNATIONAL WALK & ROLL TO ANYWHERE MONTH THIS OCTOBER!
We may not be walking or rolling to school right now, but physical activity is even more essential to health during these challenging times! This October, we challenge you to build knowledge about bicycle and/or pedestrian safety, the environment, and your community while Walking & Rolling to ANYWHERE!
HOW TO PARTICIPATE IN INTERNATIONAL WALK & ROLL TO ANYWHERE MONTH:
1. JOIN US ON WALK & ROLL TO ANYWHERE DAY!
- On ANY ONE DAY during the FIRST WEEK OF OCTOBER, choose a destination to walk, bike, scooter or skateboard to. It can be ANY destination, whether it is to your school campus, a local park, a store, a friend's house, or just a walk around the neighborhood and back to your home!
- Fill out our WALK & ROLL TO ANYWHERE SURVEY to share when, where, and how far you walked or rolled with us.
- Your survey results will be shared with your school to discover how many kids walked & rolled, how far kids from your school traveled, how many carbon emissions were saved, and which teacher had the highest percentage of student's who walked & rolled that week!
2. COMPLETE AND SUBMIT OUR OCTOBER CHALLENGE ACTIVITY FOR A CHANCE TO WIN AN ICE CREAM GIFT CARD!
OCTOBER BINGO & SAFETY POSTER CHALLENGE INSTRUCTIONS:
- Download the BINGO Challenge Sheet: English PDF Spanish PDF
- Do as many activities as you are able to during the month of October, crossing them off the sheet when completed. (note: you do not have to achieve a "BINGO" to be complete)
- Optional: Enter our Safety Poster contest for an EXTRA chance to win!
- Submit to Safe Routes to School, as directed on the 2nd page of the Challenge Sheet (may be submitted via email or the mail), postmarked by Friday 11/6/20. Can't print or mark up the Challenge sheet? Send us an email describing which activities you finished, and include all the information we asked or on the 2nd page of the Challenge sheet so you can be entered into the drawing.
- ALL Bingo Challenge submissions will be entered into a drawing for an ice-cream gift card. Safety Poster Contest Submissions will also be entered into the drawing (students who do both the Bingo Challenge & Safety Contest get TWO entries into the drawing).
- Winners of our Safety Poster contest will ALSO receive a "I *heart* Walk & Roll" t-shirt, and winning posters will be displayed on our website.
- Winners will be announced in November, and gift cards/t-shirts will be mailed directly to winners.
BINGO ACTIVITY ONLINE RESOURCES (top to bottom, left to right on BINGO sheet)
- Pedestrian Safer Journey Video & Quiz
- Bicycle Safer Journey Video & Quiz
- Responsible Walking & Bicycling "Roll" Model Pledge (PDF, English/Spanish)
- Bicycle Hand-Signals How-To Video *
- ABC Bike Check How-To Video*
- Big Tadoo Puppet Crew Album: A Breath of Fresh Air, The Walk & Roll Solution (Soundcloud)
- Sample Sensory (Mindfulness) Walk
- NHTSA Walkability Checklist (English) (PDF, Spanish unavailable at this time)
- Overdrive.com (bike book search) AND our list of recommended books related to bicycling & walking!!
- Helmet-Fitting How-To Video*
- Sample Chalk Obscacle Courses (YouTube Video from Chicago Parks) (YouTube Video from Starler Sisters) (YouTube Video from PEWhileHome)
- How to Fix-a-Flat Tire Video* (short)
- Fix-a-Flat How to Video (longer, by ParkTools)
- Navigating Intersections How-To Video*
- Power Pedal Position How-To Video*
- Locking Your Bike Properly How-to-Video*
- Google Maps
- Air Pollution Lesson Plan (PDF, try with an adult instructor, to complement & extend upon air pollution calculations)
Questions? Email Safe Routes to School.
*Above referenced videos developed by the Oregon Safe Routes to School Program
- Big Tadoo Puppet Crew developed and sponsored by Alameda County Safe Routes to School Program and Transform
PROMOTIONAL RESOURCES FOR SCHOOLS/TEACHERS: