JOIN US IN CELEBRATING INTERNATIONAL WALK & ROLL TO SCHOOL (& ANYWHERE) MONTH THIS OCTOBER!
October is International Walk & Roll to School Month! Join us - and kids from all over the world - on International Walk & Roll to School DAY on Wednesday, October 6th (or an alternative date of your school's choice). In addition, we challenge you to build knowledge about bicycle and/or pedestrian safety with our Walk & Roll BINGO Challenge for a chance to win a family ice-cream outing!
HOW TO PARTICIPATE IN INTERNATIONAL WALK & ROLL TO SCHOOL (& ANYWHERE) MONTH:
1. PARTICIPATE IN YOUR SCHOOL'S INTERNATIONAL WALK & ROLL TO SCHOOL DAY EVENT! Your school may celebrate on Wednesday October 6th, or they may choose an alternative date. On that day, travel to school by your human power - walk, bike, scooter, skateboard, skates, unicycles, wheelchair - either from home or from a drop-off spot at least a ~10 minute walk from school. And have fun!
2. COMPLETE AND SUBMIT OUR OCTOBER CHALLENGE ACTIVITY FOR A CHANCE TO WIN A GIFT CARD FOR A FAMILY ICE-CREAM OUTING!
OCTOBER BINGO & SAFETY POSTER CHALLENGE INSTRUCTIONS:
- Download the BINGO Challenge Sheet: English PDF Spanish PDF
- Do as many activities as you are able to during the month of October, crossing them off the sheet when completed. (note: you do not have to achieve a "BINGO" to be complete)
- Submit to Safe Routes to School, as directed (may be submitted via email or the mail), by Friday 11/5/21.
- ALL Bingo Challenge submissions will be entered into a drawing for a Family Ice Cream Outing. Safety Poster Submissions are a bonus entry into the drawing!
Winners will be announced in November, and gift cards will be mailed directly to winners.
BINGO ACTIVITY ONLINE RESOURCES (numbers correspond with numbers on BINGO sheet)
- Pedestrian Safer Journey Video: Elementary Version Middle School Version
- Bicycle Safer Journey Video: Elementary Version Middle School Version
- Practice Walking in a marked crosswalk with a parent or adult!
- Bicycle Hand-Signals How-To Video *
- ABC Bike Check How-To Video*
- Helmet-Fitting How-To Video*
- How to Fix-a-Flat Tire Video* (short) Fix-a-Flat How to Video (longer, by ParkTools
- Navigating Intersections How-To Video*
- Power Pedal Position How-To Video*
- NHTSA Walkability Checklist (English) (PDF, Spanish unavailable at this time)
- Locking Your Bike Properly How-to-Video*
Design a poster illustrating one or more of the above concepts and send it to SRTS!
Questions? Email Safe Routes to School. *Above referenced videos developed by the Oregon Safe Routes to School Program
PROMOTIONAL RESOURCES FOR SCHOOLS/TEACHERS:
- October Challenge Month Full Page Flyer (8.5"x11") (English PDF) (Spanish PDF) (English JPEG) (Spanish JPEG)
- October Challenge Month Video Commercial
- International Walk & Roll to School Day Poster (11"x17") (English PDF, dated) (Spanish PDF, dated) (English PDF, undated) (Spanish PDF, undated) (English JPEG, dated) (Spanish JPEG, dated) (English JPEG, undated) (Spanish JPEG, undated)
- October Challenge Month Instagrammable Image (square) (English JPEG) (Spanish JPEG)
- October Challenge Month Facebook Event or Website Header (rectangle) (English JPEG) (Spanish JPEG)
- October Challenge Month Page Banner (long, narrow rectangle) (English JPEG) (Spanish JPEG)
- Responsible Walking & Bicycling "Roll" Model Pledge (PDF, English/Spanish)
- Vision Zero Survey Flyer (for schools to share in October) English PDF Spanish PDF English JPEG Spanish JPEG