JOIN US IN CELEBRATING RUBY BRIDGES WALK TO SCHOOL MONTH THIS NOVEMBER!
Six year old Ruby Bridges stepped into the history books in 1960 when she integrated William Franz Elementary School in New Orleans, becoming a national icon for the civil rights movement. Today, her story continues to inspire the next generation of leaders to end racism together, one step at a time. Ruby Bridges Walk to School Day started with a group of AAA School Safety Patrollers from Martin Elementary in South San Francisco. Nearly 60 years later, when they heard about Ruby's courage and bravery for the first time, they thought there should be a day to commemorate the movement she started. These students took their idea to the state legislature, and today Ruby Bridges Walk to School Day will be recognized by the State of California on November 14th of each year. Now, schools across California and the United States continue to honor Ruby's legacy in their own way, including by Celebrating Ruby Bridges Walk to School Day durinig the month of November. Whether Sonoma County schools celebrate on November 14th or another date in November, Ruby Bridges Walk to School Day commemorates her historic steps and continues the movement to end racism and unify our communities.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE IN RUBY BRIDGES WALK TO SCHOOL MONTH:
1. PRINCIPALS/SRTS CHAMPIONS: REGISTER YOUR SCHOOL WITH AAA/THE RUBY BRIDGES FOUNDATION to be counted as part of the movement! And/or Apply for a Grant!
Registered schools will receive free materials from AAA - posters, pins, banners, and more - to help make your Ruby Bridges Day a success. In addition, AAA is offering up to $1000.00 to support your school's Ruby Bridges Walk to School Day. Grants can be used to enhance the movement at your school, such as funding custom t-shirts, flags, breakfast and snacks for the walk, etc. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis.
2. TEACHERS, PARENTS OR STUDENTS: Visit our RUBY BRIDGES WALK TO SCHOOL DAY WEBSITE for resources for teaching and/or learning about Ruby Bridges.
3. STUDENTS: COMPLETE AND SUBMIT OUR RUBY BRIDGES WALK TO SCHOOL DAY BINGO (by 12/5/22) FOR A CHANCE TO WIN A $25.00 GIFT CARD TO A LOCALLY OWNED BIPOC BUSINESS
- Download the Ruby Briges Walk to School Day BINGO: English PDF Spanish PDF English PNG Spanish PNG
- Submit to Safe Routes to School (may be submitted via email or the mail), postmarked by Monday 12/5/22
- ALL November Challenge submissions will be entered into a drawing for a $25.00 gift card to a locally owned BIPOC Business of the winners choice
- Winners will be announced in December.
4. CHECK OUT THE WINNING DESIGN FROM THE SONOMA COUNTY LIBRARY's RUBY BRIDGES WALK TO SCHOOL DAY POSTER CONTEST! Congratulations to 17 year old Laurel Jean H. for submitting the winning poster. Posters will be printed and displayed at local library branches and distributed to Sonoma County Schools that registered for Ruby Bridges Walk to School Day and will be participating between 11/14-11/18.
Questions? Email Safe Routes to School
PROMOTIONAL RESOURCES FOR SCHOOLS/TEACHERS:
- Ruby Bridges Walk to School Challenge Video Commercial
- Ruby Bridges Walk to School Month Full Page Flyer (8.5"x11") (English PDF) (Spanish PDF) (English JPEG) (Spanish JPEG)
- Ruby Bridges Walk to School Month Instagrammable Infographic (square) (English JPEG) (Spanish JPEG)
- Ruby Bridges Walk to School Day Event Date Modifiable Infographic (square) (English Modifiable PDF) (Spanish Modifiable PDF) (English November 2nd JPEG) (Spanish November 2nd JPEG)
- Ruby Bridges Walk to School Month Facebook Event or Website Header (rectangle) (English JPEG) (Spanish JPEG)
- Ruby Bridges Walk to School Month Page Banner (long, narrow rectangle) (English JPEG) (Spanish JPEG)
- Ruby Bridges Walk to School Day 1.5" sticker (PDF) (PDF with Bleed)
- Walk & Roll Good For You, Good for the Earth Logo Eng Span
- Walk & Roll Good for You, Good for the Earth Rectangular Image (Banner) Eng Span
November Safety Video PSA: Visibility When Riding Your Bicycle: 1 minute version 2 minute version