Encourage children at your school to walk or roll on an ongoing basis!
Establishing a designated Walk/Roll Day at your school helps keep the momentum going after International Walk and Roll to School Day, and can be a base or catalyst for other encouragement programs, such as weekly or monthly walk/roll days, walking school buses or the Golden Sneaker awards.
Establishing a designated Walk/Roll day of the week (such as Walk/Roll Wednesdays or Footloose Fridays) at your school is a great way to ingrain Walking/Bicycling to school into your school culture.
Celebrate your designated Walk/Roll day with a monthly Walk/Roll day "incentive" event (themes are great!), or choosing one or two months in a school year to hold weekly Wednesdays with an end-of-month incentive/reward. The Frequent Walk/Roll or Pollution Punchcard contests are also an effective 4-6 week long contest where a weekly walk/roll Wednesday table is utilized as a check-in/encouragement station for the kids.
LAUNCHING A MONTHLY WALK/ROLL PROGRAM
International Walk & Roll to School Day is a great time to launch your ongoing Walk/Roll Day program - but you can launch your program at any time of the year with a fun Walk/Roll event! A Walk/Roll event can be as simple as promoting the day and setting up a welcome table to greet students as they enter school on bike or on foot, or it can go beyond that and involve meet-up points, contests, raffles, and more. Plan your event in line with your school resources and volunteer power!
Please download our Walk/Roll Days Guidebook for instructions on how to plan your first Walk/Roll Event!
Customizeable Flyers & Resources for a Monthly or Ongoing Walk/Roll Program:
(all content, including day of week, may be modified):
- Montly Walk/Roll Day Flyer (English/Spanish) - Flyer introducing concept of Walk/Roll Wednesdays and a monthly walk/roll day event
- Monthly Walk/Roll Day Flyer (Find Your Green Way to School) (English/Spanish) - Same idea, but promotes different travel modes
- Sample Walk/Roll Day schedule flyer (English/Spanish) - Flyer listing days/dates of month where school is celebrating Walk & Roll
- Walk/Roll Day Classroom Participation Sheet - Use to collect participation #'s in classrooms for annual, quarterly, or monthly walk/roll days.
- Donation Letter template - Use to solicit donation(s) for snacks or raffle prizes
- SRTS Program Overview Flyer (English/Spanish) - Send home early in the year to introduce the concept of the SRTS program to your site
- Volunteer Recruitment Sign-in form - Use this sign-up sheet at school events to recruit parent volunteers to assist with Walk/Roll event(s)
- Volunteer Recruitment Flyer (English/Spanish) - send this flyer home to assist in recruiting parent volunteers for your walk/roll program.
WALK AND ROLL DAYS DOWNLOADABLE STICKERS, POSTERS, and LOGOS
WALK/ROLL DAYS STICKERS - we have a variety of downloadable 1.5" round images that are easily printed on stickers through sheetlabels.com or another vendor. You may also request printed stickers from us if you're enrolled in the Sonoma County program!
WALK/ROLL DAYS POSTERS and BANNERS - Posters and Banners for Walk/Roll: Good for You, Good for the Earth, Walk/Roll Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays, and generic "Days"
WALK/ROLL DAYS LOGOS - Logos for Walk/Roll: Good for You, Good for the Earth, Walk/Roll Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays, and generic "Days"
SRTS THEMES AND SAFETY CORNER: Monthly SRTS Newsletter Content in English and Spanish
As you encourage children to walk or bicycle to school, take the opportunity to spread walk/bicycle safety messages throughout the year. If your school has a monthly newsletter, email blast, blog, or other form of communication that is disseminated to families, utilize our SRTS newsletter blurbs to encourage kids to walk/roll and/or for relevant content about bicycle and/or pedestrian safety.
SRTS THEMES & Safety Corner (English)